Anberlin Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the top 10 anberlin songs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
to.the.eastern.skies.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: the top 10 anberlin songs Reply with quote

this is a note i wrote on facebook, the title explains what it is
enjoy:

anberlin is my favorite band. their combination of heavy rock tones and stephen's melodic vocals are what i consider to be the perfect formula for music. placing 10 of their songs in order as their best is not easy, considering nearly any anberlin song is better than what we hear on the radio these days. but, this is what i consider to be the top 10 list of anberlin's best songs. taking into account lyrics, instruments, and fan opinions i've seen over time, here is what i've come up with.

10. readyfuels

this song marks the beginning and basis for anberlin's distinct sound. i love the guitar intro, which pounds into an energy filled song. definitely the first stepping stone in anberlin's career. favorite part, the intro guitars

9. godspeed

what an opener to anberlin's best album. not only does the music knock you flat on your face, stephen's lyrics are creative and purposeful. this song leaves an impact...just the way i like it. favorite part, when the song cuts to bass only

8. hello alone

another song in which the guitars pound away and stephen's vocals soar. this song is rad and powerful. i love the ending line, it really hits hard and ends the song brilliantly. "as a lesser known i'm here, and there's hope, there's hope". favorite part the guitars during "do you care at all"

7. the haunting

interestingly enough, this song was never on an anberlin album (besides lost songs). despite this, i have seen an overwhelming number of fans refer to the haunting as their favorite anberlin song. it has somewhat of a feel similar to fin, starting acoustic and building up into full blown rock mode. if you havent already, i recommend you check out their acoustice performance on youtube. its fantastic. favorite part, the opening chords.

6. alexithymia

did i spell that right? and is it a real word? according to wikipedia, it is a psychological term describing an inability to understand or describe emotions. to me, its an anberlin song with unbelievable lyrics and an amazingly simple, yet extremely powerful guitar solo. one of the highlights of cities, in my opinion. favorite part, guitar solo.

5. paperthin hymn

this is the first song by anberlin i ever heard, and it never gets old. if not readyfuels, this song is the one which hooked people to anberlin. the guitar parts are unforgettable, and the lyrics are so full of emotion, making the song leave a huge impact on whoever listens to it. favorite part, "i thought you said forever, over and over"

4. dance dance christa paffgen

i heard stephen say that he doesnt understand why this song is so low in downloads on itunes. i dont understand it either. this song is perfect in every way. from the bass introduction (i play bass, so i love deon's parts) to the mellow guitar picking throughout the whole song. its incredible. i love listening to it. furthermore, the lyrics are genius. absolutely pure genius. i tip my hat to stephen for this one, because every line is so well crafted. i cant say enough about this song. if you are one the people ignoring it...get on itunes now and buy it! favorite part, the whole song.

3. fin

many people consider fin to be anberlin's best. i've got it as number three, and i do this with no disrespect. fin is an amazing song. hands down amazing. rad beyond proportion, unique and sometimes puzzling lyrics, and all in all well crafted. when my friend first gave me this song to listen to, he kept saying, "wait for it". it hits, and it hits hard. favorite part, when the electric guitars take over the acoustics

2. (the) feel good drag

i dont care which version. there are positives and negatives to both. i love them both. either way, this song instantly made anberlin my favorite band. its just a good old rock song. i'm extremely happy that it has had the success it has, well earned and well deserved. favorite part, the introduction.

1. dismantle.repair.

not an instant favorite. this song grew and grew on me. i truly believe it is anberlin's best. with the "false ending" and the cut out of all the instruments, leaving stephen to cry "repair", this song is just crazy good. my favorite part is at the end when the lead guitar moves up a few tones...if you know what i mean Smile

i need to add two honourable mentions. glass to the arson and the resistance are two amazing songs, but they just didnt make the cut for the top 10. and like i said, i dont think anberlin has any bad songs.
thanks for reading
anberlin90
Mega-Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that you included a song from Blueprints. High five! Very Happy

Play it Loud!
Live for Jesus!
CadenceHeartYou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's cool
May I know your Facebook? Very Happy
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solid list, unwinding and symphony are unlucky.
AddaLovesAnberlin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you when it comes to The Haunting and Dance, Dance Christa Paffgen.

I believe Never Take Friendship Personal is one their bests, it's such a good song! Smile
handslikesecrets

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid list. I remember when I first heard Alexithymia, I was sure it would be a single. I think even today if they released it (which is obviously impossible, no pun intended), it would be massive.
The only songs not on your list that I really feel deserve a shout are Naive Orleans and a Whisper and a Clamour (which I feel is the most overrated Anberlin track).
Nice work!
hellohelloalone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good list! Dismantle. Repair. would probably number one up on my list too Smile

http://twitter.com/hellohelloalone
jefcully

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good list i liked it ! I have also a list,most of the song as u mention in your list but may be order is change according to my choice :
1 Anberlin (* Fin)
Resistance 2
3 Dismantle.Repair
4 Glass to fire
5 The Haunting
6 The Feel Good Drag
7 Readyfuels
8 Dance, Dance Christa Päffgen
9 Paperthin Hymn
10 Godspeed
anberlinian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Good choice! Reply with quote

Good choice of songs,, i like the diversity. But i didnt see soft skeletons.. :O you gotta put that on there. And i didnt see paperthin hymn, So thats the only difference i would make. Other than that, GOOD JOB
anberlinian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Good choice! Reply with quote

JUST KIDDING! YOU DO HAVE PAPERTHIN HYMN. IM SORRY. I DUN GOOFED
to.the.eastern.skies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Good choice! Reply with quote

anberlinian wrote:
JUST KIDDING! YOU DO HAVE PAPERTHIN HYMN. IM SORRY. I DUN GOOFED

all is forgiven because you said 'i dun goofed'
haha. love it.
anberlinian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that video is so classic. First of all he comes in randomly saying "don't be sayin suicide" when she never even said that. Haha. Then he stutters and says stuff like "you better write one more thing" and "I'm recording your comments". And on top of that he made things 20x worse by sayin he backtraced them, haha. I about lost it at the cyber police. And of course the infamous dun goofed. God.. I'll never get tired of that. Who says that?ha. One things for sure, uber parent fail on his part, and his consequences will never be the same. Personally I like the dubstep remix the best..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anberlin Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: